Lady Gaga

General Music talk.

Moderator: manuel

Re: Lady Gaga

Postby dukdukgoos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:43 pm

RETROberrie wrote:why go back to a time where nobody is liberated?

Because the music was better. Quite simple really.
dukdukgoos
Ceramic girl
Ceramic girl

Postby Abe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 pm

dukdukgoos wrote:
RETROberrie wrote:why go back to a time where nobody is liberated?

Because the music was better. Quite simple really.

I'm going to take a bullet and say that this is opinion.

I prefer today's music.
Abe
BUDOUKaaaaaaaaaaN!!!!!
BUDOUKaaaaaaaaaaN!!!!!

Postby RETROberrie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:19 pm

^ Agreed. obviously LOL.

I don't know how people can listen to music so tame and restricted in regards to production. I'm so glad the music industry is catching onto electro dance music - everything is exponentially better now. :)
acanch y u not fallow me pls
(If you're on this forum/in this fandom, I'll most likely follow back! <3)
http://twitter.com/candyPERFUMExo
RETROberrie
Secret Lover
Secret Lover

Postby dukdukgoos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 pm

There's opinions then there's opinions...

Top 10 by year (cit. http://www.jamrockentertainment.com/bil ... -year.html)

2010:
1 Telephone Lady Gaga
2 Airplanes B.o.B. (feat. Hayley Williams)
3 Firework Katy Perry
4 Rude Boy Rihanna
5 Break Your Heart Taio Cruz (feat. Ludacris)
6 Need You Now Lady Antebellum
7 What's My Name? Rihanna (feat. Drake)
8 Love the Way You Lie Eminem (feat. Rihanna)
9 Right Thru Me Nicki Minaj
10 Tik Tok Ke$ha

1980:
1 Call Me Blondie
2 Another Brick In The Wall Pink Floyd
3 Magic Olivia Newton-John
4 Rock With You Michael Jackson
5 Do That To Me One More Time Captain and Tennille
6 Crazy Little Thing Called Love Queen
7 Coming Up Paul McCartney
8 Funkytown uLipps
9 It's Still Rock And Roll To Me Billy Joel
10 The Rose Bette Midler

1970:
1 Layla Derek And The Dominos
2 Bridge Over Troubled Water Simon and Garfunkel
3 Let It Be Beatles
4 Your Song Elton John
5 Sex Machine James Brown
6 Lola Kinks
7 Who'll Stop the Rain Creedence Clearwater Revival
8 Fire and Rain James Taylor
9 Paranoid Black Sabbath
10 All Right Now Free

RETROberrie wrote:everything is exponentially better now.

:rofl:

I'll stop now, because this is off topic for the thread, but... :rofl:
dukdukgoos
Ceramic girl
Ceramic girl

Postby goodlucksaturday » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 pm

I see like three good songs each on all of those lists. :rofl: Music has and always will be mostly awful. Every era has a "Tik Tok," "Sunglasses at Night," and "A Horse with No Name."
goodlucksaturday
Spy
Spy

Postby dukdukgoos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:58 pm

OMG sat, 3 good songs on the 1970 list, srly? Almost every one of those songs canonical rock classic...
dukdukgoos
Ceramic girl
Ceramic girl

Postby goodlucksaturday » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 pm

dukdukgoos wrote:OMG sat, 3 good songs on the 1970 list, srly? Almost every one of those songs canonical rock classic...

Canon doesn't mean it's good. :lol: The "canon" is why modern popular music perception is such a mess in the first place. That we can't form our own opinions on perceived classics because everyone over the age of 50 had these records in their collections is super messed up.

Not coincidentally, that's why I own probably 8 of those albums and the only one I regard highly is Bridge Over Troubled Water. Let It Be and Elton John aren't great albums, especially by those artists' standards. I take or leave Clapton, CCR, and Taylor. "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Lola," and "Let It Be" are the only three I'd take definitively above the rest of those and I really feel like I'm going on a limb for "Let It Be."

"All Right Now" can go to hell. Redeeming that song is like redeeming Jet as a decent modern band.
goodlucksaturday
Spy
Spy

Postby dukdukgoos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Sounds like you're talking about albums... the lists above are top 10 singles.

The reason why these are "canonically" great songs is that over many years musicians, critics, and consumers have all agreed that they are great. As I said, there are opinions and there are opinions. The quality of the top 10 singles in 1970 (and 80) is measurably higher than 2010.

Now that being said, I'm not saying there's not music being made now that's just as high quality... it's just not as popular as good music was in the past.
dukdukgoos
Ceramic girl
Ceramic girl

Postby EvieV » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 am

That and IMHO, most popular music today doesn't seem to have much thought put into the lyrics anymore. I've noticed that artists are now basically focusing on the beat and making it unique and more club worthy, and then just throwing lyrics in there, that are just....pointless to me. Continuously singing about sex, alcohol, drugs, partying and hot girls....I'd like it more if they at least put more thought into the lyrics and stopped singing about THAT stuff for once. That's not with all songs popular songs today, but most from what I've observed.

LOL maybe we should start a "American music debate" thread? This stuff would fit better in a thread like that XD
Sorry guys, I didn't really think my posts would start a kind of music debate!
EvieV
Tokyo Dome
Tokyo Dome

Postby dukdukgoos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:48 am

Yep, I agree, can we maybe move this series of posts to another thread mods? I hate having off topic stuff clutter up threads I like (sorry for being partly responsible in this case).
dukdukgoos
Ceramic girl
Ceramic girl

Postby RETROberrie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 pm

I dunno, I find all of this can relate to Gaga because we're talking about the quality of music.
And while some people may argue her music isn't up to a high quality (which I TOTALLY disagree with), you can't deny her lasting impression on the music industry is getting bigger and bigger.

I'm not saying that before here there was no electro music, but all everything top 40 was very pop/rock. I've noticed after her first album more and more artists are trying their hand at dance/electro infused music, and you can't even count how many Just Dance rip off songs there are out there now. Take a quick look at Youtube for ANY given dance song, there will be a top rated comment or FLOODS of comments relating it to Lady Gaga. (which I totally don't condone, I think people are SO dumb for comparing everyone to Lady Gaga)

Im my opinion her first album was fluffy dance stuff that wasn't really that substantial, but it was fun and produced well so I still loved it. She really took off with Bad Romance though, the whole Fame Monster CD SCREAMS quality out of control.
Despite my initial thoughts on Born This Way, it is a well thought out album with a distinct sound, and A LOT of it has grown on me. I think she has the highest quality of music in the west without a doubt.
acanch y u not fallow me pls
(If you're on this forum/in this fandom, I'll most likely follow back! <3)
http://twitter.com/candyPERFUMExo
RETROberrie
Secret Lover
Secret Lover

Postby EvieV » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:30 am

....Yeah I guess you're right. After all, Lady Gaga is a huge icon in the music industry and influences a lot of people I guess....
RETROberrie wrote:And while some people may argue her music isn't up to a high quality (which I TOTALLY disagree with), you can't deny her lasting impression on the music industry is getting bigger and bigger.

I disagree as well, her music IS good and she has made a deep impression on the music industry, though I do think it's her costumes that have had a big hand in the impression with her music being maybe 30% of that impression. It's just that when people talk about Gaga, they're usually talking about her costumes, but not as much about her music....

RETROberrie wrote: Take a quick look at Youtube for ANY given dance song, there will be a top rated comment or FLOODS of comments relating it to Lady Gaga. (which I totally don't condone, I think people are SO dumb for comparing everyone to Lady Gaga)

UGH I hate that. I was actually watching a video earlier today about Madonna talking about bullying, and there was this freaking argument that had started over this one person saying "madonna is such a gaga wannabe" And it just...pisses me off to see all the Gaga comparisons. Like I've said before, I like her music and how she stands up against bullying and also how she is for gays, bi's, transgenders and all that, she has my COMPLETE respect for that, but....I'm tired of all the comments of people "ripping off" Gaga's style, or that Gaga is copying Madonna....It's just like...No...please just stop.
EvieV
Tokyo Dome
Tokyo Dome

Postby Ricoche » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:30 am

Not a big fan of Lady Gaga yet, but she's got an interesting career to keep an eye on. I'm curious how she'll survive the test of time. Madonna has done that well with her changes over the years. Lady Gaga seems to be the same with each album. She needs to really make a change here shortly in my opinion.
Ricoche
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby glitterandspice » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:25 am

I like her music, her personality is okay sometimes but other times she can get a little too much for me. I can't stand her fans though. Little Monsters sure are some monsters. they relate the entire world to GaGa and their Mother Monster, I feel bad for them, worshipping someone they may never meet. But the moment someone is nice and considerate to their fans, they are copying GaGa, wearing avant garde outfits, they are copying GaGa, have a song with the same chord progression but not electronic sounding, they are copying GaGa, i agree, almost every video on Youtube has something to do with GaGa and how they are copying her. Its okay to fan girl but to the extent they are doing it, its ridiculous. Originality is Dead, and GaGa killed it.
glitterandspice
Endless journey
Endless journey

Postby Manaboo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Can Gaga just drop this era and get to that new album this year ugh

Born This Way came and went and i'm so glad it's done, XD
Manaboo
Dream Fighter
Dream Fighter

Postby goodlucksaturday » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:08 am

I'll be interested to hear new Gaga. So long as she gets over her savior complex and creates music that's actually fun to listen to again.
goodlucksaturday
Spy
Spy

Postby Manaboo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:31 am

My thoughts exactly!!!!!! :yahoo:
Manaboo
Dream Fighter
Dream Fighter

Postby DDRmasterX » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:48 am

I think "Bad Romance" is the most relevant and finest Gaga's pop song at the moment.
DDRmasterX
Digital Member
Digital Member

Postby rewak » Sat May 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Anyone hear about the latest scandal with her ex and ex-producer Fusari? He leaked an old demo then pretty much went on an insult exchange with fans on Twitter. Fun times :P As shitty as his motives are (he tried to sue Gaga and lost) and as shitty as his attitude is, the demo is pretty funky and its nice having it in untagged uncompressed 24bit sound. Plus the previous demos leaked from someone who got hold of them and sold MP3's of them for a few thousand dollars a pop, so at least his method of leaking them is kinder in that regard. It does kinda seem like he's just asking for a lawsuit to fly his way though, berating an entire fanbase the way he is and leaking stuff he doesn't own copyright too. He put a video thing up too, i'll link it rather than embed it cause there's swearing in the first 5 seconds of it, link to the demos in the description if anyone wants to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rs6YL-k6Ro
rewak

Postby rikarusso » Sat May 05, 2012 4:24 pm

rewak wrote:Anyone hear about the latest scandal with her ex and ex-producer Fusari? He leaked an old demo then pretty much went on an insult exchange with fans on Twitter. Fun times :P As shitty as his motives are (he tried to sue Gaga and lost) and as shitty as his attitude is, the demo is pretty funky and its nice having it in untagged uncompressed 24bit sound. Plus the previous demos leaked from someone who got hold of them and sold MP3's of them for a few thousand dollars a pop, so at least his method of leaking them is kinder in that regard. It does kinda seem like he's just asking for a lawsuit to fly his way though, berating an entire fanbase the way he is and leaking stuff he doesn't own copyright too. He put a video thing up too, i'll link it rather than embed it cause there's swearing in the first 5 seconds of it, link to the demos in the description if anyone wants to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rs6YL-k6Ro

Demo sounds real funky and cool. He's such a douche though. :|
rikarusso
Yoyogi Mix
Yoyogi Mix

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Asian Music