Skrillex anyone??

General Music talk.

Moderator: manuel

Skrillex anyone??

Postby moki » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:09 am

I'm not usually one for dubstep, but I like some Skrillex (Sonny Moore) songs. They're really hardcore :xd:

Anyone else care for it?
moki
Indies Member
Indies Member

Re: Skrillex anyone??

Postby blindwhatif » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 am

i like skrillex hehe im kinda new to the dubstep scene but ive been listening to some skrillex =o
Gaki-san fan forever
blindwhatif
Perfect Style Member
Perfect Style Member

Postby Thinkalil » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:13 am

I'm pretty new to dubstep also but Skirllex happens to be my favorite artist. Deadmau5 is pretty good, too.

Some songs I've got from Skrillex are: First of the Year (Equinox), Scary Monster and Nice Sprites, Cinema (Skrillex Remix), My Name is Skrillex and Rock N' Rock (Will Take You to the Mountain).

I wanted to see him on the Mothership Tour but found out too late :(
Thinkalil
Kiss Gravity U Sound Best
Kiss Gravity U Sound Best

Postby Manaboo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:43 pm

I cannot with that stuff, it's just too noisy and lacks melody or structure.

To me it's just experimental synthesizer and heavy beats haha
Manaboo
Dream Fighter
Dream Fighter

Postby glaspar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:31 am

i went to a skrillex gig in nottingham...it was CRAZY. like literally. I don't think you'll ever see a Perfume concert like that. hahahha. there's just something mesmerising about 1 dj being able to spin tracks that'll make a crowd go bananas.

Maybe Perfume should just do a dubstep song, get out of that electro-pop genre a bit. That would be cool. :P

These guys opened for the skrillex concert - Koan Sound - I thought their sound was great too, a different take on dubstep

but even dubstep has moved on .... there's a new wave starting to happen called post-dubstep (much like how post-rock was a response to the wave of rock) check it out!

glaspar
Indies Member
Indies Member

Postby Xiratava » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 am

Can you recommend any specific songs that exemplify the style? I've only listened to Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites so far and it's an interesting piece. Not entirely my taste but I haven't heard any other Skrillex works...
Xiratava
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby perfumeVN » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:49 am

bangarang album is not so good , in my opinion.
perfumeVN
Computer Citizen
Computer Citizen

Postby Wanari » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:43 am

I'm not a dubstep fan and the first time I heard him was by my crush. He's a big fan of his and I don't really like it. Though I'm happy my crush is happy. =/
Wanari
Indies Member
Indies Member

Postby gmn4 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Uhh skrillex is not dubstep

Now this...

Skrillex mostly makes electro house tunes with irritating mid range wobbles (like everyone else these days) it's really nothing like dubstep. It's just one of those cases where the wrong word was used so many times the meaning changed.

(A lie told often enough becomes the truth, etc)
J'aime faire des cracottes au chien
gmn4
Honto no Negai
Honto no Negai

Postby SpringOfPerfume » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 am

i still love ma skill though
ImageImage
SpringOfPerfume
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby IronMaaaaan! » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 am

I've been listening to Dubstep for quite some time and I would agree that Skrillex's sound was innovative to the genre during his debut. However, due to Skrillex's recent rise in popularity, music producers from this YOLO generation have ultimately depleted the raw, original sound of Dubstep after using and abusing the genre by incorporating it into their pop-music. As a result, I stopped listening to Skrillex and Dubstep altogether as a way of not being identified as a twelve year old member of this YOLO generation; not simply because it "went mainstream".

Regardless of this, I still find his EP Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites to be a good source of EDM. I found this video recently and thought it was a pretty good sync :yeah:

Hipsterbots, roll out~
IronMaaaaan!
Wishing for the best
Wishing for the best

Postby gmn4 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 am

I won't go as far to say it was innovative, it was like figuring out the square block goes into the square hole and that two sounds fitting together make for a good commercial sound. There is a lot more innovation happening in the underground "dubstep" circles who have pretty much shed all relation to the genre and have moved forward making new sounds and subgenres which make the whole commercial success worth it. IE it took all the crap tunes/artists while the people who were doing big things ducked out of the lime light and went and changed the game completely. Perfect example are labels like Swamp, Night Slugs, Naked Lunch, Planet Mu, Vase, 3024, Black box, hyperdub, SunkLo, Hessle and so on. There is so much new "bass music" out there it's amazing.

The whole "wub wub wub" epic drop sound is really irritating and boring to most people, it's just hype music at the end of the day. It's mass appeal still baffles me to this day, but then again I don't get half the things which are popular these days but I must say as far as music trends go, the "brostep" one has to be an all time low for electronic music. Because most of it is that, people just copying other people and whoring out massive presets and sample packs.

That said

I'll take that over the spazzy uninspired brofest party music that most people think dubstep is. I don't care about it much these days, the name dubstep is a dirty one to me now thanks to artists like skrillex and rusko and honestly the best thing is I don't think anyone else cares either. The genre's core has moved on to something better and are finally starting to experiment and make some really interesting new sounds, I think it's time fans (like myself) do so as well and to not really care much about artists like skrillex.

:)
J'aime faire des cracottes au chien
gmn4
Honto no Negai
Honto no Negai

Postby SpringOfPerfume » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:04 am

IronMaaaaan! wrote:Image
I've been listening to Dubstep for quite some time and I would agree that Skrillex's sound was innovative to the genre during his debut. However, due to Skrillex's recent rise in popularity, music producers from this YOLO generation have ultimately depleted the raw, original sound of Dubstep after using and abusing the genre by incorporating it into their pop-music. As a result, I stopped listening to Skrillex and Dubstep altogether as a way of not being identified as a twelve year old member of this YOLO generation; not simply because it "went mainstream".

Regardless of this, I still find his EP Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites to be a good source of EDM. I found this video recently and thought it was a pretty good sync :yeah:

Hipsterbots, roll out~

OLOY : "Only Losers Obey YOLO"
ImageImage
SpringOfPerfume
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby Kokoro_No_Sports » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:50 am

Video related
ImageImage
Kokoro_No_Sports
Hiroshima member