「COSMIC EXPLORER」 06/04/2016

Perfume's music talk.

Moderators: manuel, Abe, rewak, goodlucksaturday, AlexShenmue

Re: 「COSMIC EXPLORER」 06/04/2016

Postby neuronauta » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:03 am

Recochoku Year-End Chart:

FALSH - #20 most downloaded digital song of 2016. That's quite good, since they don't usually make it to digital music rankings.
CE- #64 on the yearly digital album list.
Perfume - #38 on the artist list.

http://aramajapan.com/featured/recochoku-releases-their-year-end-charts-for-2016/67877/

FLASH is #6 on Billboard Japan's list of Radio Songs for 2016

http://aramajapan.com/featured/billboard-japan-releases-its-year-end-charts-for-2016/68014/

COSMIC EXPLORER is Japan's 24th best-selling album in 2016 according to Billboard J.

PS: Sadly, I can't find any reports regarding LEVEL3's position on Billboard Year-End charts for comparison's sake. I don't even think Billboard J used to track album sales back in 2013.

http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=albums_year&year=2016
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby Abe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Rolling Stone names COSMIC EXPLORER 16th best pop album of 2016 on their 20 Best Pop Albums of 2016 list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... er-w455636

They wrote this:

Not many groups release their best work a decade and a half into their career, but Cosmic Explorer – the year's most expansive and infectious J-Pop album – is Perfume's high point to date. As on their past four LPs, this trio of female singers – who go by Kashiyuka, A~chan and Nocchi – were abetted here by electronic whiz Yasutaka Nakata, who handles all writing and production duties, wiring indelible pop hooks into dramatic EDM structures. Churning gears of rhythm send melodies pinging about the mix until they're borne upward on explosively cresting electronic waves. Cosmic Explorer may be sugary and exhilarating, but don't overlook its ambitions – the nearly six-minute "Story" is a dance-pop mini-symphony. K.H.
Abe
BUDOUKaaaaaaaaaaN!!!!!
BUDOUKaaaaaaaaaaN!!!!!

Postby myAya » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 am

i like game for the songs but i like level 3 for the playlist i made.
i think cosmic explorer is more like game because i dont have a playlist i can make from it.

from cosmic explorer i like the first two songs and the last two songs mostly. but for their best album its either game or level 3 to me 4 sure.

heres my level 3 playlist;
Furikaeruto Iruyo
Daijyobanai
Handy Man
Sleeping Beauty
Dream Land
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Postby Fushizen Na Girl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 am

Abe wrote:Rolling Stone names COSMIC EXPLORER 16th best pop album of 2016 on their 20 Best Pop Albums of 2016 list.

They wrote this:

Not many groups release their best work a decade and a half into their career, but Cosmic Explorer – the year's most expansive and infectious J-Pop album – is Perfume's high point to date. As on their past four LPs, this trio of female singers – who go by Kashiyuka, A~chan and Nocchi – were abetted here by electronic whiz Yasutaka Nakata, who handles all writing and production duties, wiring indelible pop hooks into dramatic EDM structures. Churning gears of rhythm send melodies pinging about the mix until they're borne upward on explosively cresting electronic waves. Cosmic Explorer may be sugary and exhilarating, but don't overlook its ambitions – the nearly six-minute "Story" is a dance-pop mini-symphony. K.H.

That's pretty huge. :) I wonder if they know they made it on that list.
Fushizen Na Girl
Wishing for the best
Wishing for the best

Postby Inmylife82 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:50 am

Abe wrote:Rolling Stone names COSMIC EXPLORER 16th best pop album of 2016 on their 20 Best Pop Albums of 2016 list.

They wrote this:

Not many groups release their best work a decade and a half into their career, but Cosmic Explorer – the year's most expansive and infectious J-Pop album – is Perfume's high point to date."

High point to date? Really? LoL. That's laughable. Anybody else here found that amusing? Sounds like the author ONLY listened to Cosmic Explorer and didn't bother to listen to their back catalog -- safe to assume that was the case. It's as if the person didn't listen to GAME up to JPN. Oh well, this is Rolling Stone after all...not much readership anymore b/c of biased politics, etc. Although, I give them props for the feature.
Inmylife82
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby elevator » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:30 pm

While I wouldn't necessarily say that CE is their highest point, for me it is well up there with the best of their work. :)
elevator
Choreographer MIKIKO
Choreographer MIKIKO

Postby davvid » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Inmylife82 wrote:

They wrote this:

Not many groups release their best work a decade and a half into their career, but Cosmic Explorer – the year's most expansive and infectious J-Pop album – is Perfume's high point to date."

High point to date? Really? LoL. That's laughable. Anybody else here found that amusing? Sounds like the author ONLY listened to Cosmic Explorer and didn't bother to listen to their back catalog -- safe to assume that was the case. It's as if the person didn't listen to GAME up to JPN. Oh well, this is Rolling Stone after all...not much readership anymore b/c of biased politics, etc. Although, I give them props for the feature.

You have to remember this is US Rolling Stones, they don't listen to j-pop. CE is Perfume most westernized album.
davvid
Computer Citizen
Computer Citizen

Postby SecretSecret84 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:39 pm

elevator wrote:While I wouldn't necessarily say that CE is their highest point, for me it is well up there with the best of their work. :)

Same
SecretSecret84
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby mitchwitch » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:44 pm

davvid wrote:
Inmylife82 wrote:

They wrote this:

You have to remember this is US Rolling Stones, they don't listen to j-pop. CE is Perfume most westernized album.

i actually thought level 3 had an equally strong western flavor - with the exclusion of 未来のミュージアム / mirai no museum. i also think jpn was pretty western but not so much in the popped up edm way it's two successors would be.

but i agree, it's a bit lulzy that the writer thought that CE was their high point. i also admit we have to take into consideration that the writers for rolling stone have had their ears tuned to the traditional fare of billboard or heatseaker regulars. it's a miracle this even made it across their desks.

i do think that CE is a pop album that is highly deserving of the rank it received - hell, i think any of perfume's albums would rank competitively. it's just weird to have someone who obviously knows very little about them declare with so much confidence to such a large audience that this is their best.
mitchwitch
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby neuronauta » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:29 am

2016 ORICON YEARLY is finally out - COSMIC EXPLORER is #22 with 185.876 copies sold.

Even though CE was bought by fewer customers than their previous album, it's actually higher on the year-end list ! :)

In comparison (yearly sales),
Triangle (2009) - #24
JPN (2011) - #24
LEVEL3 (2013) - #23
CE (2016) - #22

COGNRATS & keep on keepin' on !

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/y/2016/p/3/
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby rofl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:47 am

Just seen the opening of the Cosmic Explorer Tour, Dome Edition. Mind blowing. So cool.

-r
rofl
Electro World Inhabitant
Electro World Inhabitant

Postby myAya » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:19 am

nice album to listen to after a while not listening to it. it could have been great so many nice song on it.
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Postby windtech2214 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:41 am

myAya wrote:nice album to listen to after a while not listening to it. it could have been great so many nice song on it.

I agree! For some reason it's a lot better after all the hype has died down!
windtech2214
Major Debut Member
Major Debut Member

Previous

Return to Perfume Music