Re: "If you wanna" RELEASE 2017/08/30

Postby neuronauta » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 pm

DAY4 - #2 - 2.017 copies. Overall - 44,905
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby Fushizen Na Girl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:49 am

Does anyone know why the video for If You Wanna was not included on the single? I'm genuinely curious.
Fushizen Na Girl
Wishing for the best
Wishing for the best

Postby neuronauta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:27 pm

DAY5 - #2 - 2.322 copies. Overall - 47,227
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby myAya » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:57 pm

47,227 + 1, if you include my itunes purchase.
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Postby neuronauta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 pm

myAya wrote:47,227 + 1, if you include my itunes purchase.

Oricon doesn't count digital sales ;)

DAY6 - #4
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby ChanelNo.Kawaii » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:49 am

Inmylife82 wrote:This has got to be their most "BORING", "UNINSPIRED" single release in their history...coming from a long time fan. No, I'm not a newbie -- who thinks this is the best thing since sliced bread. Give me a break. The b-side promoting washing machines, and then this "If you wanna" song...which doesn't go anywhere musically. All I can remember is A-chan's whiny, "If you wanna" refrain. IS there any fanfare still for "Tokyo Girl"?? I don't think so. So that's my point. And do I "WANNA" buy this...No. No sucker here.

With regards to the live stream -- boring too. It might as well have been 3 girls doing a dance routine, and then take pics afterwards. That's what it was. I don't recommend watching it for those who haven't (unless you "wanna" waste 30 min of your time) lol. Overall, too bad Nakata-san, Amuse, and the girls themselves are going along in this direction. "Magic of Love" was the best single to me the past 5 years or so. A matter of time till long time fans completely forget about this group...and I'm heading that way. I know people left already.

It's certainly an odd direction they have taken the group in this past few years. As a Westerner I have to wonder if this sound and set-up for the group is more in line with fads and trends in Japan, and that's why there is such a huge disconnect for me as a fan?

I have no idea, I'm just clutching at straws for reasons as to why such a great synergy of performer/producer/stylists/management can go from creating something genuinely unique and exciting to completely losing their way within a relatively short space of time. It's baffling, but I guess they have different ideas for the band from what they originally had going on (which was apparently working well for them?!?) I don't know, it's been an odd journey the group has taken since about the JPN album.

Maybe they've stayed with Nakata too long and it's gotten stale? The direction they want to take has seemed confused for a long time now. They seem to swing between mid-tempo happy songs that lack any hook or interesting musical ideas and are basically just a marketing tie-in and songs with disappointingly behind the times American pop influences that seem to miss the mark entirely. It's been a very jarring mix of influences that hasn't really worked for them and seems at odds with their earlier success which they seem reluctant to capitalize on for some reason even thought it plays to both the strengths of Nakata and their strengths as performers - Maybe the girls themselves or management or Nakata wants to move away from that high energy sound but are confused on which direction to go resulting in muddled mistakes and failed attempts at hitting a new stride?
ChanelNo.Kawaii
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby neuronauta » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:47 pm

DAY7 - #6
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby Tetsuki » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Judging from the press coverage for this single on the news, their team/Nakata are trying to introduce a more "innovative"/Western sound that doesn't resemble anything else on the J-pop scene by choosing "If you wanna" as the A-side. That's basically been the biggest selling point for this single. Not sure if this interview has been posted, but they clarify a few things:

- A~chan says they were surprised when they heard it would be the A-side, Kashiyuka says they were worried about it (reminds me of their reaction to "Spending All My Time")
- they said that the rhythm was hard to follow at first, but once the choreography was added, the song started to become more appealing
- Nakata wanted to try a sound that would resemble what was popular in Western music, so he thought Perfume could best introduce it to a Japanese audience
- they describe it as a new genre - "future bass"

My thoughts on the single: "Everyday" is the obvious choice for better A-side, but I think it's kind of cool that they chose to switch it up. However, I kind of wish this single was more like "Cling Cling" in that it should've had more tracks - maybe 3 tracks with 3 PVs. "TOKYO GIRL" was released nearly 7 months ago - the fans need more than a 2 minute, 44 second A-side. That being said, "If you wanna" sounds like an introduction track. I think it'll work better on an album. It's not bad, it's just not particularly strong when lined up with some of their other singles.

I think Perfume are in an interesting situation. They've obviously always been at the mercy of Nakata's schedule, which seems to be getting busier. I live in Tokyo, so I often see advertisements for his DJing events and wonder how he has time to do it all. You can definitely see that EDM is exploding in Japan right now, especially among younger generations - which is why artists like Zedd/Avicii are so well-known. I think that Nakata is trying to tap into that by letting Perfume test the waters, evolve, and take on a more global sound while a plethora of other girl groups on the J-pop scene stick to doing what they do best. It's a fair strategy - Kyary and Perfume have more eyes on them on the global stage than some other Japanese artists. A few other groups have also been dabbling in a more Western sound, so it's natural if he that was his actual strategy (for example, Flower's new single "Taiyou no Elegy," which was their first #1).

I think the time he started shifting his view (and the time he did it best) was with "COSMIC EXPLORER" - particularly with "FLASH". The single mix is a "safe" but fresh Perfume sound, but the album mix sounds amazing in the clubs, and has that edgy, global EDM feel. I've heard the album mix several times at events and let me tell you - it sounds amazing on massive speakers. That's how he should be doing it. There's been a clear drop in quality, especially this year. I was worried when I first heard "TOKYO GIRL" because I couldn't imagine there being a dance routine to it, and when it finally arrived, it wasn't all that memorable for me. "If you wanna" - the song - is lacking, but the choreography is better.

It also feels a little obvious that a lot of the acts he's produced have been put on ice this year due to his busy schedule - I'd be surprised to get anything else from Perfume for the rest of the year. My hope is that they switch up promo and perform "Everyday" at least once on TV to give the single a little push. The good news is that the fandom in Japan is still alive and kicking. Their concerts have a great turn out, they get pretty good promo in-store (displays, goods, etc) when they release things, and I still hear "TOKYO GIRL" playing occasionally while out shopping.

(On a side note, there's one store by Shinjuku station that blasts parts of the "Triangle" album on loop every single day. It gives me life each time.)
Tetsuki
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby elevator » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:25 pm

^ ^ ^ Very many thanks for the summary of the interview, and your analysis and observations - all extremely interesting. :)

I had sort of hoped this single would contain more than two songs too. :|

The video isn't displaying normally in your post as the coding between the opening and closing "youtube" codes should be just JtxwVGgugtU . :)
elevator
Choreographer MIKIKO
Choreographer MIKIKO

Postby SecretSecret84 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Yes many thanks for the interview summary and analysis and thoughts !
SecretSecret84
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby Sensha_Michi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:10 am

The MV has landed!!! :bravo:

I love Japan, Perfume & Girls und Panzer... Not always in that order either :P
Sensha_Michi
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby myAya » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 am

Sensha_Michi wrote:The MV has landed!!! :bravo:

awesome, ya! :bravo:
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Postby SecretSecret84 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 am

Very nice MV looks absolutely great !
SecretSecret84
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby elevator » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:36 am

Completely brilliant! I love it! :D
elevator
Choreographer MIKIKO
Choreographer MIKIKO

Postby neuronauta » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:26 pm

If you wanna - Oricon Weekly #2 with 49.067 copies sold :)

(slightly better than TOKYO GIRL's weekly #2 - 49.032 copies)

DAY 8 - #26
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby elevator » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Thank you for the info! :)

Very fascinating that IYW has outsold TG by 45 copies in Week 1, despite being 4,355 copies behind TG on Day 1 (and also IYW was #3 on Day 1, and has climbed to #2 for the week). I suppose TG had more sort-of early promotion being a TV theme song, but one would like to think that IYW has then picked up sales compared to TG through its own impact, as it has got better known.... Perfume have obviously worked very hard promoting it, but I guess the same could be said about TG.

It would be interesting if Perfume could give promotion to Everyday, performing the full choreography as seen on the live stream - perhaps sales of the single would then get a second wind....
elevator
Choreographer MIKIKO
Choreographer MIKIKO

Postby davvid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 am

The Regular Edition came out of the blue: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UPCP-5010 :shock:
davvid
Computer Citizen
Computer Citizen

Postby punkin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Did anyone else notice that Tokyo Girl's MV is referenced in the IYW MV?? The parts with the building with the triangle and lights, the city scenes. I noticed that immediately when I watched it for the first time a few days ago, but I haven't seen a single other person mention it so I thought I'd bring it up.

Maybe there'll be some type of story line, where all MVs tie together for this era? Main MVs anyway. If they do one more single before the album (which I'm guessing will be mid-next year, if they do one more single that'll come out early next year between Jan-April, and the album maybe between Jun-Aug? Along with a tour to promote), the MV for that a-side might be long enough to tie the story together. That would be really interesting and definitely get people's interest.
punkin
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby neuronauta » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:40 pm

DAY9 - #18
DAY10 - #17
DAY11 - #19
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby Fushizen Na Girl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:54 am

Does anyone know why the MV isn't on the single? (unless it low key is? Cuz I haven't seen it on the track lists)
Fushizen Na Girl
Wishing for the best
Wishing for the best

PreviousNext

Return to Perfume Music