Re: "If you wanna" RELEASE 2017/08/30

Postby neuronauta » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:08 pm

DAY 12 - #25
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby Erika » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 pm

It's a shame If you wanna is so short, it does feel like an extended intro rather than a full song. I do like it though. The PV is cool.
Everyday is cute without being too over the top, overall I like this single much more than Tokyo Girl. I listened to it a few times and never went back to it.
Erika
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby garnetjester » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't understand the Tokyo Girl hate, I think that song is great, I love hearing their less processed vocals and their singing with more emotion (also why I really like Pick me Up and Star Train) I really dislike If You Wanna, the only A-side I find as jarring is Linear Motor Girl, which is literally headache inducing for me. Their vocals sound so strained and just wrong, and I feel like the song doesn't have a proper climax and it leaves me feeling that it ended before it started. The MV is alright, but nothing mindblowing either. I miss their Cling Cling era MVs, ever since Pick me Up everything seems to be visually similar, very polished and minimalistic but I really loved their Voice and Nee eras where they were stylish and more upbeat.

I don't know if "growing up musically" for Nakata means taking a more mellow and subdued approach to the songs, while there were some great club bangers in Cosmic Explorer, it seemed to be a lot less quirky than even Level 3 (not to mention something like GAME) and I could really tell the difference in their live. I don't know what I feel about this change in direction, because I like the toned down processing on the vocals but then again, their music is starting to sound less electronic than it used to, if that makes any sense, and I don't want them to lose that edge. I might be more assured now that they're into "future bass" or whatever the mess that is happening in If You Wanna is. I hope it's experimental and only for this single though, everyday is such a fun and cute song, would've been an amazing A-side and I love the visuals and the choreo for that as well.
garnetjester
Macaronic
Macaronic

Postby Fushizen Na Girl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 am

Still upset that the video for If You Wanna isn't on the single. (and that I didn't get my poster with my single even though I paid for it...)
Fushizen Na Girl
Wishing for the best
Wishing for the best

Postby Tetsuki » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

^ Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it gets sorted out for you. I'm assuming they didn't include the MV for "If you wanna" on the single because 1. they didn't finish editing on time for it to be included on the DVD, or 2. they're holding it ransom as hostage for fans to buy the CD+DVD of their next album. They did release the full version rather than a short version on YouTube, though, so maybe it's a "buy 1, get 1 free" kind of experiment. They have done it before with "Spice" by only including the MV for "GLITTER" on the DVD. That was different though, because "JPN" came out only a few weeks after.

On a side note, I wonder if they'll ever release another best-of/compilation album. I feel like now would be a good time to do it - the past two singles have been OK, but I don't exactly see the direction they're going in for a studio album yet. I feel like their past singles have been a little clearer, apart from a few exceptions.
Tetsuki
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby garnetjester » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

I don't think they will release a compilation album anytime soon, the first one was done partly because the group was going to disband and the second was motivated by the group's western debut. I understand what you mean by not really getting what their newest singles have in common. I see a lot of similarities between Tokyo Girl and Star Train, but If you wanna is it's own thing. I wish they were more conceptually cohesive, but I guess that's just a pipe dream by now. And maybe I'm only so bummed about it and bringing it up because I didn't find this last single enjoyable as a whole.
garnetjester
Macaronic
Macaronic

Postby Fushizen Na Girl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:06 am

Let us not forget Atmospheric Entry which is also completely different from these 2 singles. For me personally it's kinda fun not knowing what direction they're going with now. It's like a mystery/surprise. I feel like they're really experimenting with more sounds this time around. I do hope they throw out one more single at the end of the year and kick off 2018 with the next album. But for now I'm just enjoying the surprise ride.
Fushizen Na Girl
Wishing for the best
Wishing for the best

Postby Tetsuki » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I love "Atmospheric Entry", but I think it's unfortunately just a track created for the "Cosmic Explorer" tour. It actually fit so well into the theme of the album when I saw them during the dome edition last year, and I wish it was on the album as an interlude. At one point, I thought they were going to re-release the album with some remixes and "Atmospheric Entry" on it, sort of like they did with "LEVEL3". I think it was made by Nakata solely for the tour/"Perfume no Okite" and picked up by the Uniqlo ad campaign afterwards.

On topic - "If you wanna" didn't too differently from "TOKYO GIRL" during its second week. 4,680 copies (TG did 5,417).
Tetsuki
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby neuronauta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 pm

DAY13 - #29
DAY14 - #23
WEEK2 - #23 - 4.680 copies. Overall - 53,747
DAY15 - out of TOP30
DAY16 - #16
DAY17 - #14
DAY18 - #23
DAY19 - #40
DAY20 - #39
DAY21 - #23
WEEK3 - #30 - 1.871 copies. Overall - 55.618
DAY22 - out of TOP30
WEEK4 - #32 - 1.469 copies. Overall - 57.087
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby Brian DC » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:34 pm

The video for "Everyday" is out, although not on Perfume's official Youtube site. It's pretty goofy, if you ask me!
https://vimeo.com/234896125
Brian DC
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby myAya » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm

japanese humor? or ugly art conspiracy? damn gud to see the girls again tho tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJKd22UDXhU
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Postby Brian DC » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:48 pm

It seems like they wanted to build a visual theme around washing machines. Unfortunately, this weird foam motif was what they came up with.
Brian DC
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby myAya » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:10 am

i saw soap foam drop from their waist, and i thought thats a cloud with the girls on top, and now the cloud is falling apart, dripping on the ground. its surreal.

i see them in the air floating, then theyre a part of a cloud with their legs cut off. its the weirdest video ive seen in years.. :xd: :hm:

only thing that could have made it weirder would be foam beard on yuka that then sloppily drips onto the ground. like a big santa claus beard made of suds.

:love:

i dont know if the video is a parody, but it turned out to be a parody.
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Previous

Return to Perfume Music