New Album "Future Pop" releasing August 15th

Perfume's music talk.

Moderators: manuel, Abe, rewak, goodlucksaturday, AlexShenmue

Re: New Album "Future Pop" releasing August 15th

Postby neuronauta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 pm

An excerpt from the recent Ongaku to Hito interview,

Q: [...] that doesn’t mean Perfume is in a bad situation, right?

Nocchi: No, not at all! We see absolutely no signs of things like disbanding or closing our careers. In fact, after working as Perfume for more than 15 years, I enjoy what I do most now.

So, don't fret ;)

https://shellfish-honkon.tumblr.com/post/176944439621/perfume-english-translation-of-the-interview-on
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

Postby L1ght7 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:25 am

I just listened to the whole thing on Spotify, and I have to say, I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised! I really liked all the new songs (Tiny Baby may take a few listens but I know it'll get there)! I especially thought Tenku was a stand out in the album, It had such a catchy chorus, I don't even care it was sung 4 times. It sounded like a western Glitter, and it actually worked quite well! I was disappointed at first at how short both Future Pop the song and Future Pop the album were, but I quickly overlooked that after hearing just how great the album was all together. Future Pop the song was a very melodic and fun song. The album definitely had some western influences, but that wasn't a bad thing in this case. I loved every minute of this album, and I hope everyone else can agree. I was glad that they didn't market Tokyo Girl as an album mix because it really wasn't. Remastered fits it really well because the vocals and music were tweaked just a little bit to make it sound better. I will say that in Future Pop the song and Tiny Baby, their voices were just a little too quiet. It was kind of hard to make out the words. Everyday worked really well as an ending song to the album and I'm glad it was put there instead of at the beginning with all the other English titles. Start-Up was the only song on here that was a let-down to me. After listening to it, it just felt like I had wasted a minute. It didn't really go anywhere or do much, but it was still such a fun album overall. I am so excited for what they have in store for us in the future (pop lol)!
L1ght7
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby ChanelNo.Kawaii » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm

This is by far their worst album for me. The only tracks I'm pulling off for playlists are Fusion and Tenku.

I really hope they ditch Nakata he is so far past his sell-by date, to call this album Future Pop is either an obscene lack of self-awareness or a bad joke.
ChanelNo.Kawaii
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Postby perfumelover » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 pm

I am also a little bit disappointed. Way too short and no new impulses. :(
Party Maker!!!!!
perfumelover
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby elevator » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:54 am

According to the Perfume official website, there will be a live stream on Friday Aug. 17th at 11 p.m. (JP time) to mark the release of the new album "Future Pop". The live stream can be viewed on YouTube (Perfume official channel), Niconico and twitter, and also on the Perfume × docomo “Future Pop” Project special website.

Announcement: http://www.perfume-web.jp/eng/news/individual.php?id=72

YouTube channel for live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfL3vkemA2w
Last edited by elevator on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elevator
Choreographer MIKIKO
Choreographer MIKIKO

Postby perfumelover » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 pm

I also don't understand why they didn't put the whole 1 hour "Reframe"-perfomance on the bonus-disc. That was such a great perfomance. :cry:
Party Maker!!!!!
perfumelover
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby flyingwill » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Why do people like "Fusion" (and "Story" on Cosmic Explorer) so much? They sound so un-Perfume to me, as well as being unnecessarily long and barely aimless instrumentals. I listen to Perfume also for the vocals!

Also the live stream was nice, they seemed to really enjoy it! The choreography for the title track was neat.
flyingwill
Major Debut Member
Major Debut Member

Postby Fushizen Na Girl » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:15 pm

^I personally love songs like that from them b/c it's a sound they don't normally do. It's a dark and mature sound, a sound I wish they would revisit more often.

Now onto my personal take on the album. I actually liked it, not my fav album but it was still pretty nice. I will admit though that when I think of the concept future pop, most of what's on the album does not come to mind with the exception of 3 songs (TP, IYW, & Fusion.) So in that sense I feel like that album was mistitled. Looking at it though w/o the album title in mind the album itself was pretty consistent in terms of sound. Their most consistent album for me hands down. Each song just flows together (w/ the exception of Fusion.) Here's my review track by track:

Start Up - Absolutely does nothing for me. W/ a title like Start Up you would think it would get you amped up for everything else you're about to hear after it or at least leave you with a grand impression, but no. It's bland, forgettable and a waste of space on the album if you ask me.

Future Pop - My favorite song on the album and the song that should have been the lead promo song (sorry not sorry LMK) When I think of the concept that they were trying to go for with this album this song fits the bill perfectly. I just wish it was longer. Even though it's over 3 min's it feels so short b/c there's just the verse, pre-chorus, build up and then instrumental drop chorus and back again. I'm not sure what kind of bridge I can imagine for it, but a bridge definitely would've made a more impactful difference I feel.

If You Wanna - Loved it as a single, wish it could've gotten the album mix treatment. Like FP it just feels incomplete on the album. It's also one of the 3 songs I felt that actually went with the future pop concept.

Tokyo Girl (Remastered) - The 1 song that DEFINITELY needed an album mix. It's not a bad song, for me it just never had a wow factor. That single is on my top 3 boring Perfume singles (including its b-sides.)

Fusion - In LOVE with this song so it pains me greatly to say that it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album. It has no business mingling w/ the other songs that supposedly are the "future" of pop. It's just very mixed match. Wish their would've been at least another song that blended both concepts of Fusion and FP to tie it all in.

Tiny Baby - Probably the song I have the most conflict with on the album. I love the instrumental to death, but the vocals kill it a little for me. It doesn't even sound like Perfume singing it. It sounds like a Kyary track. Had I just heard the song with no background knowledge about it I would've mistaken it for Kyary. And don't even get me started on what I consider some of the cringiest lyrics out of Perfume's whole discography. I really hope the whole "baby" trend Nakata seems to have taken on (Tiny Baby and Baby Face for ex.) ends with this album. It's not cute, it's weird.

Let Me Know - I really enjoyed this song to my surprise. Just wish it wasn't the lead album song. It's way too safe to have that kind of consideration and doesn't do the album concept any justice.

Chorairin - It's a really cute and catchy song. I like the heavy Asian vibes it throws. I can picture that song being in an anime shopping around the city montage.

Mugenmirai - I really like the lyrics and the chill vocals but it's also another song in this era that just didn't have that wow factor to me. It just sounds like Sweet Refrains slightly better cousin. Slightly. (which isn't saying much coming from me cuz I didn't even like Sweet Refrain all that much.)

Housekino Ame - I like the song, I just really wish it wasn't on the album. I would have preferred a new song in place of this one. (like I said w/ the TG single, it fell flat for me) I appreciate what it tried doing with the bells (i liked that part of the song and the chorus is catchy) but it's just not album worthy to me. The only thing that saves it is that it flows with the rest of the album.

Tenku - I really enjoyed this song. It gave me a Sonic level kind of nostalgic feel. I would love to see this song performed live along w/ FP.

Everyday - A solid album closer. I loved the song on the single already so other than it being a fitting closer for the album not much else for me to say on it.

Overall I give the album a 7/10. (I would've given it a 6.5 for lack of album mixes but the fact that it ties in so well sound-wise gives it a 7 for me.)
Fushizen Na Girl
Wishing for the best
Wishing for the best

Postby skh1 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:16 am

Future Pop vid out today (spoiler alert: it's awesome)

[Edit] Ok, and this dropped today as well (spoiler alert: also awesome)

skh1
Linear Motor Fan
Linear Motor Fan

Previous

Return to Perfume Music