Re: Compilation of Perfume Translations

Postby aionee » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:37 pm

very interested here as well...:)
aionee
Indies Member
Indies Member

Postby elevator » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm another one who'd be very interested. :)
elevator
Nakata Fan
Nakata Fan

Postby Sweet Fragrance » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Holy crap it's too long :shock: I hope it gets translated soon,seems really interesting
Sweet Fragrance
See no evil
See no evil

Postby shellfish1004 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi, I've finished subbing another Perfume-Utamaru radio.

On 19th January 2008, Perfume made their 2nd appearance to
"Rhymester Utamaru's Weekend Shuffle" for the promotion of their single,
"Baby Cruising Love/Macaroni"

I hope you enjoy it

I've got tons of radio programs I want to sub!
I think I'm going to sub another Perfume-Utamaru radio, or Perfume-Kaela radio.
But it will take time.
shellfish1004
Computer Citizen
Computer Citizen

Postby elevator » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Very many thanks for the brilliant translation and subtitles, shellfish! :bravo: This program is completely new to me. So fascinating! And Utamaru talks so fast - indeed like a machine gun - so much to translate and sub! He and Perfume are clearly very good friends.

So much great stuff in the program. I loved hearing Perfume talking about Baby Cruising Love/Macaroni, the double A-side follow-up to Polyrhythm that they were promoting. They say some very interesting things. It must have been very tricky getting the follow-up to Polyrhythm right and I think Nakata and everybody did a pretty good job. I love the eccentric quiz that Utamaru set for Perfume and am pleased that Perfume won the prize, which was Rhymester's recent DVD - especially as it was the limited edition! Nocchi had already bought herself the regular edition - she couldn't get the limited edition because it had sold out!

Among other things, Perfume tell Utamaru about the upcoming releases of the Fan Service Prima Box (the limited issue collection of their indies singles plus a bonus-type DVD) and the regular edition of Fan Service Bitter, their first full DVD, both occurring on 13th Feb 2008. I had never realised something that A~chan says about this - that if you buy both Prima Box and Fan Service Bitter, Fan Service Bitter can be kept in the PB box with the PB discs - there's a cardboard spacer that can be removed to make room for FSB. And indeed I now see that the back of the FSB case has the pattern of coloured blocks that lines up with the see-through front of the PB box to produce the words "Fan Service Prima Box" (which the discarded spacer would have done). That was a very clever way of promoting the sales of the two items together!

I will have to play the program several times again, to pick everything up! Thank you very much, shellfish. And I am very excited that you have many radio programs that you want to sub! I will look forward to the next one - another Perfume-Utamaru radio prog, or a Perfume-Kaela radio prog, which you mention, would be equally exciting. It is great to hear what Perfume talked about with the hosts on these programs! :D
elevator
Nakata Fan
Nakata Fan

Postby putraditio » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:56 am

^agree with you,will having this video played again for the second time to pick everything up :xd:

btw ,thx a lot Shellfish 1004 for the neat translation.Utamaru verbal vomit must have been a lot of work on translating these...
My favorite Utamaru radio show eps so far !
putraditio
BitterSweet Member
BitterSweet Member

Postby Sweet Fragrance » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Thank you very much Shellfish for subbing those old radio shows :D ,it's really rare to find another Perfume fan site with subbed intreviews and shows.I really appreciate your hard work in this vid and I'm looking forward for Kaela and Perfume subbed radio episode.
Sweet Fragrance
See no evil
See no evil

Postby putraditio » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Accidentally found something still Utamaru-related.It's telling us more about Utamaru & Okite thoughts on Perfect Star Perfect Style like Utamaru mentioned on shellfish1004's Utamaru radio show translation,pretty interesting imo.Honestly,idk where should i post this,so i thought maybe here is the best place.

putraditio
BitterSweet Member
BitterSweet Member

Postby shellfish1004 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi, I've translated the first 2 pages of the interview of Kazuaki Seki on natalie K-10 mentioned.
I'm working on the rest right now. It would take more times, though.

I hope you enjoy it.

-translation starts from here-

Perfume’s PV Collection “Perfume Clips” are now on sale on DVD and Blu-ray. In this video, Their PVs from Tokuma era, from their major debut work “Linear Motor Girl” to “Spice”, “FAKE IT” which was filmed in the Limited Edition of “Perfume Global Compilation “LOVE THE WORLD”, and “Chocolate Disco - Historical Live Act Version-“ as the new contents, are recorded.

In this feature, we interviewed Kazuaki Seki, a video director who has been in charge of 18 PVs recorded in this clip. We asked to talk him about his episodes and the inside stories of making each PVs one by one.

Interview, text by/ Kouhei Hashimoto Photo by/ Shigeo Kosaka

I tried not to shoot their smiles in close up.

- You started to work with Perfume for the first time in 2004, when you designed the cover of “Monochrome Effect”, right Seki-san?

That’s right. Even though they still belonged to an indie label, Amuse was actually in a mood of bringing out them. I was still junior back then, but I was singled out as a director working on their art works.

- Their Logo that has been used even now was made by you at that time, I heard. Had you had any experiences of being in charge of art works?

Well, it was very early stage of my career, so I was so nervous that I felt like “Do I really suit for this job?”. But as I thought I was lucky to get such an offer, so decided to do my best until they say no. LOL! I was told “They are a girl trio”, so at first I had never thought like “All right. I’ll make them look super edgy, cool!” at all. That’s why their appearances looks pretty cute kind of styles when we look them back now. But still, all of us were feeling “We won’t be able to make it if we only do what ordinary idols have already done”. It might have been difficult to differentiate them from others if we had only designed “100%-cute-looking from anyone’s point of view” kind of stuffs. So, I was determined that I would try not to do such kind of stuffs. I’d already had that rule inside me.

- Their appearances in the indie era were cute and retro in some way. But after their major debut, the orientation of the art direction had completely changed.

When they made a debut from a major label, their catch phrase “Near Futuristic Techno Pop Unit” was named. So, it would have been totally against it if we did some cute, active girls stuffs. LOL!

- Yeah, you’re right. LOL!

So, I came up with “cold, ice-cool but humane at some point” kind of images. As their MCs in the concerts were so honest and humane, we thought what we made should be cool. Although we hadn’t decided it as rules, we consciously avoided to have them smile on CD covers, and tried not to shoot their smiles in close up. Wink(*1) used to have such kind of concepts, didn’t they? I had that kind of image inside me generationally. You know? The first CDs I bought were Wink and Bakufu-Slamp.

Linear Motor Girl

- So, the PV of Liner Motor Girl was filmed under such circumstances.

I remember making up a CD cover and PV, imagining the background story like “Metropolis”, like “These girls make this city” and so on. When you try to tell someone what Perfume sings is Techno Pop, it would be much easier and needs no explanation if you make up near-futuristic spaces or a virtual town. You know, when you see it, you’d instantly understand “Ah I see, it’s pretty Techno-like” LOL!!

- I see. It’s easy to understand.

Among other artists’ PVs, there were some videos in which artists sang in a space ship or something like that. But I think there were no video with as rigid background as this. I was so serous to make what would have became very silly kind of looking even with a single, tiny mistake. Their sound was totally different and new from typical idol-ness, their choreograph was pretty like robot-dancing. Every elements were created to be near-futuristic. If you are to choreograph girls, it would usually be very energetic, active dance, but Perfume’s dance was totally different from that.

Computer City

- That unique choreography of Perfume were strongly featured in the next PV, “Computer City”

Around that time, staffs around me and in my company were so interested in Perfume. They all said like “Wow, their dance is so interesting!”. Back then, I was preoccupied only with how to make up their world-view, rather than focusing on their dance. So, when I listened to that, I became like, “Hmm! That’s what they found interesting!? Then, I’ve got to feature it!!”. That’s how it was like. In the previous one, I wrote so many backgrounds, so I thought I’d do the opposite thing and wrote nothing. LOL! I’m surprised how on earth I could push the proposal, when I look back from now.

- I know. The background is jet-black! LOL!

I think I only told them “The background will be black”. I really appreciate that they actually had a go with that. Making girls dance in front of a jet-black background sounds pretty mean, though. LOL!! At that time, there was a trend of videos “to make it daringly simple so that it can attract people’s attentions with something else”. I think this PV was influenced by that trend at some point.

- That glitch kind of effects in the PV must be what you’re talking about, right?

Yeah. It was my trend to generate videos with programs back then. In editing, we usually make videos frame by frame, or render it one by one with given effects. But I had been thinking if there were other methods. In that time, there were Electronica, laptop musicians who tried to visualize the codes they keyed in. People like Yoshihiro Hannno, Takaaki Aoki from protable[k]ommunity and Masakatsu Takagi. They held a music event of noisy, laptop music at Roppongi Think Zone, where Roppongi Hills are built now. Maybe I was influenced by that a bit.

- The method of using programs into PV directions seems to be linked to recent Perfume

I’ve heard that Daito Manabe, working with us now as a staff, found Perfume so interesting for the first time when he watched this video.

Electro World

- Was there any reasons you returned to full-CG in “Electro World”?

With this title, you can’t make them dance in a tiny room, I thought. LOL!! I simply thought I had to make up “A world that is electro”. And I also couldn’t think about doing a “Computer City”-like thing again. So, I decided to go back to the origin and making CG-featured one. However, I thought if I were to make such kind of things, I wanted to make it with the all I had got. So, I asked an animation studio I was friendly with. Then the staffs got so excited and started to make it without the permission of the producer. We both ended up getting scolded. LOL!!

- LOL!!

Like “What the hell have you just done!?” and so on. LOL! Well, I think they told the producer that they would make it. But neither of us told him what we make. We didn’t even write a storyboard.

- What!? Really?

In these videos, we usually make a rough, brief work for a verification. It’s after receiving the permission we start to make the main part. But we all skipped those setups and made it all through. After making it all, we asked the 3 to watch it, like “Hey girls, come here and have a look!”. And they all were moved to tears after watching it.

- Wow.

The visual was so beautiful, and the story was a bit sad. They were moved that we created something like this for their video.

- Watching this beautiful CG, I can understand their throb.

I owe a lot from Yasuhiro Kobari, a CG artist working with me on their concert videos after this PV, for CGs. In the meeting, we discussed about the ideas and said “OK, that sounds nice, let’s do it!”. Even though my name was credited as a director, I feel it was the stampede of those CG guys that created this PV. My role was to tell them like “Hold it, Hold it a bit” or “Go, go, go, go!!!” LOL!!

- I see. That’s how CG movies are made up.

Not really. LOL! If I had started it with an ordinary setups like writing a storyboard, writing a project proposal, explaining “It would take this much of time and cost about this much to make this” and blah, blah, blah.. It would have cost so much money and energy. In my young days, we could spend so much times and money to make up PVs. But I had thought that things wouldn’t go same for a long time. And it actually became as I had predicted, and the budget were started to cut down. So, for now days, in order to make better PVs, staffs and directors on the scene need to make them with their own decisions, without other people’s opinions or permissions.

- The upgrade of the equipments became the great help that enabled it, I guess.

It sure became a great help for time reduction. From that point of view, this “Perfume Clips” gives you a great insight into the rapid progress of the PVs and the development of digital equipments.

Twinkle Snow Powdery Snow

- The PV of “Twinkle Snow Powdery Snow” looks like something that inherited the world-view of “Electro World”

Yes. I thought I would make 1 more PV with the same world-view. So, I made it with the same staffs.

- Was there any episode you remember when you shot this video?

Well, in the audio-commentary in the clip, Perfume also mentioned about it. In this PV, I asked them to do some acting. We shot this at the Blue Back studio, and I asked them like “Girls, it’s snowing here, so can you act like it’s cold?” But as we didn’t have a storyboard, they didn’t know how cold it was. So, one member acted like it was cold a bit, and another girl behaved like she’s freezing. LOL! I liked it because it showed the character of the each girls.

- Recently, “Using analog method and best of the idea” is your style. So, these full-CG video looks pretty unusual in your career.

Well, I had too much of those things in that era, so I got tired of it and I started to get interested in sets, LOL! Shooting in front of the Blue Back is much cheaper than building up a big set, though.

Chocolate Disco

- Is that why you didn’t use any CG in “Chocolate Disco”?

It sang about Disco. So, I thought I had to describe it. But building up Disco was pretty tough for both sets and CG. So, I gathered up what I imagined from the word “Disco” and it became something like this. “Hanging a disco ball is too stereotype, so we ask them to get into the disco ball” and things like that.

- Even though it’s a PV of the idol, the screen has been so pitch-dark for the first 30 second of the PV that you can’t recognize their faces.

I felt uncomfortable making a PV featuring cute faces all the time. In idol videos, there are always close-up cuts of the faces shot beautifully. I don’t mind using those cuts if there’s a concept for using it. But those shots were often used without a context, only because those are the typical cuts for idols. I really hated it. So, at that time, I tried not to make videos with lots of close-up cuts.

- But I can’t help feeling that kind of shot was what the superiors expects from you. LOL! Didn’t they tell you anything about that?

Well, I remember there were some opinions. I think I just ignored them. LOL!

- LOL!! But I do have an impression from your works, that you “try to avoid typical things”

Yeah. Actually, you should never point lasers to your face. But when we visited the laser company for preview, we pointed it out to our faces and found it pretty much fun. Guys from the laser company told us like “We can’t be responsible for whatever happens”, though.

-Really? But the laser hit their faces crazily.

Well, it’s over if the laser hit into the eyes. Of course, we took the enough distance for defocusing to secure the safety. But if people with the knowledge saw that video, it would look so dangerous that we would have needed to insert tickers like “Don’t try this at home” or “This direction is made for the TV spots” or something like that. LOL!!

- I see. I understand what you mean

After all, the track sounded pretty crazy. So, I thought the PV had to have as crazy expression as the track so that it can catch up with the sound.

Polyrhythm

- You mentioned that you avoided the close-up cuts, but in Polyrhythm, pretty many close-up cuts were used, weren’t it?

I was requested to do so. LOL!! It was just after the TV ad for AC was decided, and they all must have thought like “It’s the time where you put all of your energies”. So, I received as many requests as ever, something they had never asked me before.

- So, their staffs were pretty keen about the momentum of Perfume’s breakthrough they were about to make.

That’s right. Though what I did had not changed pretty much, I used a large-sized accordion camera and a shift-lens, which were not normally used for PV shooting. So, backgrounds around them were very much defocused. It was my tiny rebelliousness for those requests, LOL!!

- Don’t you think you started to become a big name after this PV?

That’s right. It gave me a lot of confidences. And I knew it must have been unique even in this era that I’d been directing the PVs of the same artist for this long time. The director of a PV tends to change after 2 or 3 videos.

Baby cruising Love

- Then, you made the PV of “Baby cruising Love”, their following single, while gaining the confidence like that.

When I think back, that confidence might have been my catalyst of the improvement. Although it was very short period of time, I remember myself working so desperately. But after “Polyrhythm”, I could settle down a bit. Then, Perfume started to attract people’s attention. So, I thought that I had to come up with something new for the next time. Like something technically new, attractive ideas or something that could differentiate Perfume from others.

- I see. I think your style of putting a high value on ingeniousness started from this PV.

I think so, too. I myself, don’t like to keep on watching videos for a long time. So in order to keep people watching, I’d like to make a surprise, or make them feel “Wow, it’s unique!”

- Was that trail of the light left in the air created by CG?

Yes. We made it with CG.

- As I watched it again, I felt Perfume as of now would perform this kind of direction in the live concerts using the cutting edge technologies. LOL!

Yeah. LOL! I met Daito Manabe around this era for the first time. I remember him asking me a lot about how I made that trail of the light and what I intended to do. We also discussed like “We’d like to do that in the real world, in the concert!”

-the end of translation-
shellfish1004
Computer Citizen
Computer Citizen

Postby dkdesho » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 am

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

THIS IS SO INTERESTING! Thank you for the quick translation! Can't wait for more! :xd:
dkdesho
Still loving you
Still loving you

Postby aionee » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 am

Wow! These are extremely interesting stories about their making of PVs. Thanks for your hardwork Shellfish. :) Appreciate your efforts. Can't wait for part 2... :yahoo:
aionee
Indies Member
Indies Member

Postby elevator » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:41 pm

What a very interesting article - looking forward to the next part! Wow! Seki-san made the logo! :) Thank you very much, Shellfish!
elevator
Nakata Fan
Nakata Fan

Postby Sweet Fragrance » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Thank you,great translation as always :yeah: this part was very interesting and I can't wait to read the rest
Sweet Fragrance
See no evil
See no evil

Postby putraditio » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Splendid! thx for the translation
It seems that this is the first time seki-san being interviewed about his perfume art directions
I never thought that he contributed that much for the girls,even their logo font!
putraditio
BitterSweet Member
BitterSweet Member

Postby shellfish1004 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks for your comments guys!
I've finished translating the latter 3 pages of the natalie interview of Kazuaki Seki
the original text is as below
http://natalie.mu/music/pp/perfumeclips

I hope you guys enjoy it.

-translation starts from here-

From page 3.

Macaroni

- The atmosphere had completely changed in the PV of “Macaroni”

It wasn’t in a initial plan to make this video. But as it was the double A-side single with Baby Cruising Love, so we thought we also needed the PV for this, too. Until that time, we tried to hide the humaneness of the girls. But the sound was like this, so I decided to do a totally opposite thing like “Perfume on a day-off” or something like that.

- This video was actually filmed by 8mm system, right?

Yes. Films were falling out of the times rapidly. So, I wanted to use it before it was too late. And I also thought if the girls who were usually known as “Techno girls” had been acting innocently in a nostalgic video, people might have felt as if these girls hadn’t existed anymore or regarded that this video had actually been shot 30 years ago or something like that. This was the theme hidden behind the video.

- Did you write a storyboard for this?

Almost nothing. I made up a rough story, though. Like, girls walked around the town, went to a river, started to run and met each others at the end. When we shot this video, I dragged the all 3 of them together around for all day long. LOL! As we had to finish shooting by the early-evening, we started shooting from 5 o’clock in the morning.

- 3 solo version of the PV is recorded in this DVD and Blu-ray as the perk. Were you planning to make those solo versions from the beginning?

No, not at all. I just joked like “With this amount of videos, we can make solo versions of each 3 members!”. Then the guy in charge listened to what I said and went like “Ok, then. Please!!” I totally fell for it hook, line and sinker! LOL!! So, for each versions, I used almost everything I shot. I mean, it was like, in some meaning, showing them every contact sheets I shot. So everything, no matter if it was good or bad, was in that video. I think that’s what was good about this.

love the world

- Speaking of the nostalgic video we just mentioned, the next PV, “love the world”, is black-and-white and has the atmosphere like old silent cinemas.

When I designed the art work of the CD cover, I thought it would look good with black-and-white. So, I decided like “OK, why don’t we just shoot in black-and-white and make up the whole video under such kind of concept?”

- I felt a retro kind of atmosphere like “Monochrome Effect”

I was conscious of making up a wizardry of repeating videos, something like a kind of a video-drug. When I listened to the song and tried to figure out what the word “world” refer to, what I imagined was the world turning inside of the trio. And that retro-ness was partially because they put on the same costumes. In their early days, I had them dress up in the same costumes successively. But as it was also important to show their individual characters, costume gradually became different, including shapes and so on. But I liked the kind of uniform-ness, so I decided to have them dress the same uniforms for that time again.

- They actually put on the very vivid, red costumes. But as the cover and the PV were in black-and-white, we couldn’t recognize the red. LOL!

Well, that’s where they enjoyed very much. In a picture, they were in grey. But when they had interviews putting on the same costumes, they were in clear red. LOL! There was an unexpected surprise they liked and they all were very excited with this idea.

Dream Fighter

- “Dream Fighter” has become a special track for both the members and the fans.

It was released when they held a concert in Budokan for the first time, it was when they achieved one of their goals as musicians. The song itself indicated those things in some ways.

- The video was played for the first time on the very stage of Budokan. When you made this video, did you think this to be a monumental one?

Well… In fact, I haven’t thought a lot about the 3’s emotions toward songs, nor the situation they were in at that time, to be honest. It haven’t changed now, neither.

- Dance-focused video with a jet-black background looks similar to “Computer City”.

That’s right. I thought like “Hmm, they haven’t been dancing in the PV recently”, “I’d love to watch their dance for a change!” and so on. LOL! I had a determination to “bring out the best dance they’ve got”. That’s why we decided to show their dance very simply, but doing our best in editing each scenes to make it look interesting. The key word “balls” were in my mind back then. So, I imagined scenes like the trio’s bodies were transformed into a lot of balls and disappeared, and those balls gathered up to shape them again.

One Room Disco

- It was said the shooting the PV of “One Room Disco” took the longest period of time for shooting back then. Does that record still hold among your productions?

Among my works, yes. I’ve heard there was another touch shooting under other director’s direction, though. Oh yeah, it was really, really tough. We filmed each of them separately. So, the amount of time required for shooting simply became triple. And we changed the sets very often. So, my impression for this shooting is “We waste our times doing tiny, worthless things”. LOL!!

- It’s full of ideas filmed in this PV.

As we used elaborate methods of making, the 3 had no idea what they were doing during the shooting. LOL! But they moved so energetically under my explanation that people don’t recognize it. Every time we make a PV together, they always tell me like “We have no idea what we’re doing until we watch the complete video!” LOL!! Even if I wrote a storyboard for them, I’m not sure if I could transmit the concept properly due to my awful drawings. So, we always leave them feeling anxious whenever we shoot PVs. LOL!!

- Does things go differently with other directors?

Oh, they’ve done such a proper job! Yusuke Tanaka, who directed the recent videos of Perfume, for example, writes beautiful storyboards for every single cuts. LOL!! So, the members said, “Aha, now we know what the proper shooting is like!”, telling him “we usually have no storyboards!!” LOL!!

I still love U

- How was the PV of “I still love U” decided to make?

As it wasn’t a single, making this PV wasn’t in a plan at first. But I was asked to make it for a perk of the album. As it was the perk, I thought there should be better things than making an ordinary video. The request the 3 gave me was “We’d like you to film us singing in front of white background beautifully.”. So, I said “Ah, I’ve got it. But there must be some twists other than filming a beautiful video.”. Then, I made a proposal to them, saying “How about getting foot massages while you’re singing?”. And they actually found it so much fun. I think it must have pretty hurt as we filmed for a few times.

- Oh, it wasn’t in one take?

We had 5 or 6 takes. A foot massager told us “The more you receive foot massage, the more it hurts” LOL!! The softer the feet get, the deeper fingers can reach. So, I believe it must have hurt very much in the end. But they didn’t get mad at me. Mainly because I told them like “It’s OK. You can get healthy with this massage” LOL!

- With that foot massages, the video became very Perfume-like, full of playful spirits.

They gave us many ideas to make it a very lax video. So, they came up with pretty lax proposals. Like “We want to make a video in which we do nothing but sorting baby chicks” or something like that. LOL!! Although it sure would have been a lax video, I had to turn down the proposal as it was difficult to sort them and hard to recognize whether it was he or she. LOL! When I have meetings with them, they often come up with bizarre ideas or convincing proposals. I have a lot of fun in talking with them,

Fushizen na Girl

- “Fushizen na Girl” was their first PV with backup dancers, right?

When I was thinking about “What would be the most unnatural thing?”. It suddenly came to my mind “It would look very creepy if all of the sets are made of humans”. For example, what if this desk is actually made of living human body? At first I was thinking of building up a whole room with that concept. But I found it too troublesome. Then, I went like “Then, why don’t we put dozens of men holding a part of wall to make up a background?” So, those dancers were more like a set to me.

- Ah, I see.

In Perfume’s concerts, usually it was only the trio of Perfume appearing on stages, and in their PVs, they dance with the 3 of them only. But they told me it would be a good idea if we brought in backup dancers under such a concept. So, I discussed with MIKIKO-sensei that “Their choreograph should not look like Perfume dancing with backup dancers in tow”. She paid a lot of attention not to do so, to make up a choreograph that looked more like a Mass Game than a dance.

- How was the members like?

It was their first experience of creating a PV with others. So, the whole team worked as one. I really enjoyed shooting this. I guess they all felt anxious, wondering like “How is it going to be like in the end?”. They all did a tremendous job.

VOICE

- I’ve heard you had a tough filming in “VOICE”.

First of all, there was a request from the members saying “We would like to make a video in which we challenge and overcome various obstacles one by one.” So my idea was simple. I asked them to take on difficult challenges.

- The filming was performed as though it were a game.

That’s right, it was like a game. A kind of penalty game, I’d say. LOL! I had to think a lot on how I could establish those challenges properly as a video. The characteristics of their dance was they look beautiful when they stopped. When I thought about how I could put the challenge on that point, that “Going through the wall” scene came to my mind.

- It sure looked difficult. Not so many people except Perfume could make it, I wonder.

I thought they might be able to make it more easily than I imagined. But when it got started, we had to spend about 3 hours only for shooting that cut. We had the time limit, so I said like “Let’s try it for 3 more times” or “Even if you can’t make it, I’ll replace it by something else.”, because what is impossible is impossible. You’ve got to be severe at that point. And we finally made it with our last trial. We all got so relieved, A-chan was crying. LOL!

- When we watch the complete version only, it really looks like they made it so easily.

If we used the successful video only, there’re no other choice but to be looked like that. But after the popularization of YouTube, the way audiences watch videos started to change. The more people started to read the background and the side story of the video. That is something never happened to old PVs. Now days, sometimes people who watches a video gets surprised like “Wow, they’ve done something really tough!” and start to spread it via word-of-mouth.

- I’ve got it. That’s exactly how OK Go attracted people’s attention worldwide.

Yes. There’s the amateur fans who uploaded the perfect copy of this PV. Their choreograph is exactly same as Perfume’s one. Being able to motivate someone to do such things is something very delightful for creators.

Laser Beam

- I’ve heard that the shooting of the PV of “Laser Beam” was shut down due to the 3.11 earthquake once. And you could only make the short version at first.

The earthquake hit Japan when we were shooting at a motion picture studio. So we could only film very few cuts. The cameras were rolling, so it actually filmed the very moment of the earthquake. The studios aren’t usually built with high intensities, so we all felt so scared. The only thing in my mind at that moment was that I had to do anything to take the girls out of the building safely.

- The impression I had toward this PV is that the sets you built looked pretty gorgeous, compared to other PVs. From that point, the shutdown must have been a big deal.

It surely was. But around that time, people in the show-biz industry was struggling to find out how they should send messages to the public. And so did we and Perfume. Then, we decided we’d use all we had filmed to complete the PV as the short version when we release the single. But we’d film other scenes we couldn’t finish to make the complete version afterward.

- The latter part looks pretty comical. Was that what you intended to do from the beginning?

Yes. “Something looks serious at the beggining turns out to be a bit funny in the end” was what I came up with when I thought of the story line and it hadn’t changed. People asked me if I switched to a comical kind of ending because of the earthquake, but that’s not the story. For me, Perfume’s funny, honest talks are the one of their charms. So, I always believe I should not make them look too cool. I think “something starts with cool, stoic atmosphere but ends up with “Aha! We’re joking!! LOL!” kind of mood” would make productions more Perfume-like.

- I agree.

And as it was decided that this track would be a double A-side single with “Kasuka na Kaori”, I wanted to put the 2 stories together. Like the same item appearing on 2 videos and things like that. The 3’s role was a secret agent in “Laser Beam”. And in “Kasuka na Kaori”, they put of their suits and enjoyed their vacations after accomplishing the mission.

Kasuka na Kaori

- The concept of the PV of “Kasuka na Kaori” was “A moving photo book”, I heard.

The theme was to film natural girls beautifully. But, just filming normally didn’t sound interesting, So I proposed to make it like a photo book. In photo albums, we usually don’t see same scenes for many pages, don’t we? If you see a person on a bed in a page, the next page will be a one in front of lavatory, and you’ll see he or she eating a breakfast in the next page and so on. I thought if I could express that kind of atmosphere in a video. And Usually, pictures in photo books are shot in a portrait style, so I decided to make this video with the same style.

- Making a PV in a portrait style sounds interesting to me

Around that time, my friends often send me smart-phone videos, like “Hey, Seki-kun! What’s up!!”. And when I looked at them, I was actually pretty struck. I was like “What!? The videos are in the portrait style!!”. But when you think about it, it doesn’t matter for smart-phones if the videos are in portrait or landscape. So I noticed for iPhone or iPad viewer, it’s not strange at all if I made a portrait video, “Yeah, I don’t care whether frames are portrait or landscape anymore!!”, I was like.

- Wow, so this video was made for smart-phones.

Basically that’s what I want them to look at it with. LOL! But as we couldn’t air that on TV, so with such requests, we had to put black spaces on both sides. So, the “Portrait Version” recorded in this clip as a perk in which the whole video was recorded in portrait style, is what I initially imagined it like to be. Actually, that portrait version was aired on TV only once. Staffs at the TV station were excited in airing this version. I thought they were all nuts, and I loved them. LOL!! Well, rotating TVs only to watch this video would be too tiring, but recently there’re note PCs with rotative screens, so I’d like people to watch it with those devices. I’m sure it would look different and interesting.

GLITTER

- “GLITTER” was the same type of PV as “Computer City” and “Dream Fighter” in which you focused on showing their dance.

Yes. I simply wanted to show their dance. And as the title was “GLITEER”, I also wanted to film glitters of the light. That’s why I used mirrors and things like that. The idea of the curtain firework came to me when I was thinking what should I do in the climax. When that idea came to my mind I really thought I wanted to try it.

- I see.

In the early part, I tried to shoot as many dance scenes as possible and avoided to put in directions. But as the 3 grew mature, that simple scenes were so beautiful itself. So I found out “GLITTER” might have meant the sparkle of themselves. I really remember well that I didn’t place anything around them to make them look simply strong.

- I thought you made it simple to make it easier to understand their dance, as it was the set song for the dance contest.

Well, I think that’s a part of the reason. But that’s not where we started. The initial image I had originally was simply “to make it glitter”

FAKE IT

- “FAKE IT” was originally the B-side of “Nee”. So, it took 2 years to make the PV after the release.

When we made the global compilation album, Perfume Global Compilation "LOVE THE WORLD", we thought “FAKE IT” would be the most appropriate track for its lead track, as its concept was “dance music”. EDM was becoming popular at that time, and it would be good for Perfume to make an appeal that they had an aggressive attitude. That’s how we decided to make the video, and when we had a meeting, Perfume made a proposal saying “What we imagine from this song is the live. So, we’d like the PV to be something with that live concert-feeling”

- Oh, was that the members who actually came with the request?

Yes. They said this is the track that makes audiences raging in the live.

- It was the first time for Perfume to shoot a PV with a live-shooting style.

It was. They have confidences in their lives. And they consider their lives as one of their charms. So, I tried to make a video that can prove that charm and I think I could project it with this video.

- Using the whole venue for Bullet-time (The shooting method used in “Matrix” in which the objects are surrounded with multiple cameras) must have been pretty tough thing to do.

It was. We asked a camera maker for cooperation to prepare dozens of camera to surround the floor. As it was live-shooting, we had to bring fans into the venue, something I’ve never seen other videos doing. So, I was simply interested in how it would be like.

I feel a sense of destiny between Perfume.

- What’s on your mind after finishing to look back all of your PVs?

I said this in the middle of this interview, it’s very rare to work with the same artist for this long period of time. I think there’ll be no other artists like this in my entire life. As I looked back, all those tough memories came to my mind. LOL!! But I feel I could make what I can be proud of, and I think the girls are proud of what they’ve been making with me, too. So, overcoming all those tough things really paid off. Well, that’s very ordinary things, though. LOL!!

- You’ve been working with them almost for 10 years now.

In the early days, I was searching what would be interesting, or what I should do in some ways. But as I knew the girls are absolutely great, I didn’t say and try any negative things. They always believe in staffs around them and keep on doing what they’re requested. Their attitude on that point had never changed at all even now. That’s the reason they can attract so many various talents around them. That’s what I feel as the one who has been making things with them.

- Does Perfume make any proposals during shootings? If so, how often?

I ask them to give us their opinions on dances. For example, even if I say “That was nice one. Let’s move on to the next scene.”, they often respond like “Ah, can we have another try?”. To be honest, you can make up the complete scene with editing even if there’s a small mistake. But they ask me like “Can you use this cut for this scene?” after making it to perfection. That’s where I have felt we’ve made the PVs together.

- For the last question, please tell us what’s it like for you to work with Perfume?

Well, I don’t know if I can call it as my lifework. But I’m sure I’m going to work with them for years to come. As I get busier and busier, I often have no choice but to turn down job offers due to my schedule. But somehow, it never happened on Perfume. For example, let’s say they ask me if I have a time to work with them when I’m so busy. So, I goes like “Well, I’m pretty busy this month…” then they say like “Alright, how about on this day?”. And when I check my schedule, it’s always like “Oh, I’m free on that day” LOL!! That means, I have no other choice but to accept that job offer.

- Sounds so fateful. LOL!!

I know. I really feel a sense of destiny between Perfume. Someday, I might be asked to resign from their directions. But I do want to work with them for years and years. And It was my absolute pleasure that I could meet them.

- I’m looking forward to watching your PVs from now on as well.

I don’t really think about the future very much, though. LOL! I believe it’s best to do what I myself can enjoy. So, I’d accept the orders they ask me to do even if it sounds so weird. We have a trusting relationship and can discuss open-mindedly about various things. We’re a very unique team, I think.

-the end of translation-
shellfish1004
Computer Citizen
Computer Citizen

Postby Sweet Fragrance » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:35 pm

OMG THANK YOU :D this interview made me tear up,I love the honesty of Seki-san,looking forward to all his upcoming PVs with Perfume,he's such a genius
Sweet Fragrance
See no evil
See no evil

Postby elevator » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Thank you very much, shellfish! :D Brilliant translation! :bravo: What a great interview. :yahoo:

Engrossing throughout, but I was particularly fascinated by what Seki-san said about Macaroni - for me the atmospheric multiple videos not only captured the song, but immortalised the charm of Perfume as well - and about Laser Beam. I'd heard Perfume were actually filming Laser Beam when the terrible earthquake struck, but had not seen anyone actually speak of it, not even very slightly (probably because I can't understand Japanese). It must have been so scary, for all of them, to be caught inside a building which was probably unreinforced.

I was also touched by Seki-san's sense of destiny with Perfume. He clearly has a special place in his heart for them.
elevator
Nakata Fan
Nakata Fan

Postby K-10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:30 am

Hello! I'm so sorry this took as long as it did, I had a few things going on last month that made it hard to focus on translating. shellfish already posted a great translation of Seki's interview, so I'll add on to that with the third and final installment of the LEVEL3 tour pamphlet featuring comments from Perfume's friends and staff, including a message from Seki, which I think serves as a nice counterpart to his words above. Please enjoy!

case3 : message to Perfume
How they view the trio’s charm

We received messages from the individuals who always support and share a connection with Perfume explaining the charms each of them senses in the girls and what they’re looking forward to seeing from them in the future.

MIKIKO (choreographer): While contemplating their performances at the domes, I realized once again how much the three of them have really come to suit productions of this scale, and I’m truly astonished by the extent to which they’ve grown in these past three years. As they’ve grown in age, they’ve gradually gotten to a point where they can show their incredible strengths, or, in other words, I feel that their ages have finally caught up to their abilities. Everything they’ve done so carefully is rapidly beginning to to bear fruit. As they steadily hone their skills, they’re becoming more and more pure. They’re really growing older so beautifully, and every day, I don’t even want to blink lest I miss any of it. From this point forward, while treasuring that mental and physical harmony that only the three of them can understand, I want them keep pursuing those things that only A~chan, Kashiyuka, and Nocchi are capable of through to the end.

Konbu Toshi (HOT STUFF PROMOTION): Perhaps how their attitude towards performing live hasn’t changed one bit since the old days, from the time they were in tiny live houses to the present, where they’re not only dome-class but are now going beyond Japan to give concerts all over the world, and how they still put their all into performing. Even back when they were said to be on the lowest social strata of the entertainment industry, their feelings, at least, were that of professionals, and they gave everything their utmost effort!! Although, contrary to those feelings, nothing came of them back then (laughs). Still, when the people around them see that, they start to want to support them. They really did give it everything they had, after all. When you put it that way, I suppose their charm is in their personalities. As for what I’m anticipating from Perfume after this… They betray my expectations in a good way every time, so I hope they’ll continue to go against them from now on as well! On the other hand, I’d like to ask them — “What kind of betrayal will you give us next?”

Takahashi Shigeo (Savanna): 4 a.m. on the morning of July 6th. I went to a movie theater in Shibuya to see the live viewing of their London performance. It was my first time seeing a concert in a movie theater. At first, everyone observed the situation from their seats. Little by little, we warmed up to the atmosphere and the whole movie theater was in high spirits! Seeing the excited people in London, somehow we all got smug looks on our faces: “Right!? Isn’t Perfume amazing!? You like them now, don’t you? They’re from our country!!”

On stage, they put all of their energy into getting everyone to have fun, and the audience put all of their energy into enjoying it. In all of this, there wasn’t a single trace of boastfulness, pretentiousness, or trying to be something they weren’t. There was nothing but an overwhelming sense of fun, and no place but Perfume’s concerts has that. In any case, I had goosebumps the whole way through! If it were my ma, she’d probably say, “You’re going to turn into a goose yourself already!” And then, the MC. When you experience the atmosphere between the trio, you start to feel a smile creep up on your face without knowing why. And I have a simpering face even at the best of times. If it were my ma, she’d probably say, “You’re starting to look like half-melted caramel!”

In that movie theater at dawn, we were all a mess of pride, fun, and emotions. Only Perfume could give us feelings like these. By the time they advance to their next “LEVEL,” I can only imagine that the world will fall more in love with Perfume! When that time comes, I want to stroll through every city on the planet wearing a Perfume T-shirt and that smug look on my face!! All the world’s mas will probably say to me then: “Sushi! Mount Fuji!! Perfume!!!”

Seki Kazuaki (director): Nothing has changed in their attitude towards Perfume since the old days, yet the three themselves have been transforming. Perhaps it’s an exaggeration, but they’re the artist that changed my life. At least, surely there are more than a few people reading this letter who share that same opinion, don’t you think?

The three of them would modestly tell me, “No, no, we’ve done no such thing.” That’s because they’ve never forgotten their gratitude towards the people around them. I genuinely think it’d be impossible for them to do. Those three’s most favorite place is this live grounds. Let’s all experience the charm of these three’s “now” together.

Kondo Haruna (Harisenbon; friend, simple fan, and entertainer): Their unbelievable power to bring people together. How they overflow with human kindness. I think Perfume’s charm is readily apparent if you look at the people surrounding them. Everyone in Team Perfume, their fans, their families… They’re all nothing but wonderful people. All of them are full of love for Perfume and overflow with the desire to create something wonderful together with them or do something to help them somehow. I think the force behind that is unmistakably how they and Perfume themselves really reflect back on each other like mirrors. Perfume have a clear “passion” as people. They face others properly, and no matter if the situation is serious or joking, they go at everything with all their body and soul. Seeing them like that jolts your heart. It’s truly a splendid thing that the three of them, who have known each other for so long, can still laugh together from the bottom of their stomachs to this day. So I’d like for the three of them to stay as they are. From this point forward, my only wish is for them to grow happier and happier. Just that and no more. Even now, I can see their happiness, but the three of them have come into a position where they give others dreams and make them happy, so I want the girls to become all the more happy themselves. That’s why I want them to do everything they want as much as they want. …Except, I’d like to be able to follow them as they do so (laughs). If the three of them are happy, everyone around them will also be happy. “The beloved unit most suited to happiness in this entire world” — that’s Perfume. That’s what I believe.

Please forgive me for such an un-celebrity-like response (laughs).
I’m merely a fan, after all; don’t take me the wrong way.

Manabe Daito (media artist): Their power to fascinate not only fans but also creators. I feel there’s no other project that this country’s creators want to take on willingly and pour all their effort into but Perfume. Even if it involves shouldering a risk, I want to take a chance doing something incredible together with them. I believe Perfume has the charm to make creators feel that way.

Tanaka Yusuke (video director): I think Perfume’s charm is in how well they’re able to form close relationships with top-quality creatives in everything from their visuals and concerts to their performances, as well as their music. From here on, I hope they’ll keep bringing forth more interesting things not only limited to music. As well, the trio’s personalities are also very charming in their ability to fascinate people!!

Teruyama Momiji (TV Bros. serialization “Tachimachi, Golympic-sen?” head editor/writer): “Tachimachi” has also approached its seventh year in syndication. At their last Tokyo Dome concert, A~chan talked about pigeons [this MC is included on the bonus disc of the DVD as “Hato”], but a personal favorite episode of mine was its sequel wherein A~chan’s father took an interest in the pigeons for some reason, approaching them in a quiet voice: “Aya-chan, there’s some pigeons here. … Should I give them something to eat?” Above all, Perfume’s charm is the three of their personalities. From here on, I’ll be anticipating what kind of excitement they’ll deliver to us all the more. The list of songs they haven’t performed in some time has also grown quite long, so I’d be happy to see them do a full album revival concert someday.

Yokogawa Ryo (SCHOOL OF LOCK! “Perfume LOCKS!” director): The medium of radio and its structure of the girls talking amongst each other is something like the three of them all reading a single picture book, and one by one, as they each turn the pages in order, they talk about the story or their impressions until those things all pile up this way and they reach an interesting or emotionally moving ending. Recently, Nocchi has begun to take charge of her own role she’s cut out for herself, Yuka-san has shown her resolve in saying what she likes, and, by allowing those two to take over, A~chan has been able to grow more free. One could call this reaching the “LEVEL3” of their talk ability, but while that may be the case, they each have aspects about them that have never changed, so in short, I find those aspects to be the trio’s charm.

Oka Yusuke (UNIVERSAL MUSIC): Just like the image I had of them, the charm I feel from them is frankly their personalities. They never forget their consideration for the surrounding staff and people connected to them, and they show their feelings of gratitude honestly from the bottom of their hearts. Never once haughty, their pure feelings to the point of innocence and passionate goals, as well as their faith, instinctively stir something in the hearts of those around them. And thus, they come to share those feelings, too. That fine cycle will always exist within Perfume. From this point forward, while holding on to those feelings as one, please aim for Perfume’s next level together with all of your fans.
K-10
Kirin Chu-Hi
Kirin Chu-Hi

Postby neuronauta » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:12 am

Isn't it weird there's no word from Yasutaka in the pamphlet O.o ?
neuronauta
Secret Member
Secret Member

PreviousNext

Return to Perfume General