Ever felt embarrassed to be heard listening to Perfume?

Perfume general discussion.

Moderators: manuel, Abe, rewak, goodlucksaturday, AlexShenmue

Re: Ever felt embarrassed to be heard listening to Perfume?

Postby tvu005 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 am

Many of my friends are heavy EDM listeners, so they always like a good beat. One day, I played STORY a little loud through my headphones (FULL BLAST THAT). They were curious about who it was; and when I told them it was three cute asian girls from Japan, they did the confused head tilt. I was embarrassed to tell them I have been listening to Perfume for 8 years. After showing them the SXSW-mix, they downloaded the song from COSMIC EXPLORER right there lol. It's funny because they didn't expect me to like electronic music ( They always heard my classical music LOL). Now, I have to convince them to purchase the whole album.
tvu005
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby Sensha_Michi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 am

Yes, but only when the wife hears it. She doesnt like it so I only listen to them on headphones or in work/car.

For everybody else they know I have "unique" tastes, from the anime figurines adorning my desk at work to the fact i'm learning Japanese. Its me and I don't care what people say.
I love Japan, Perfume & Girls und Panzer... Not always in that order either :P
Sensha_Michi
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby L1ght7 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:49 am

For me it depends on who is around me. I sang KPP with my little sister next to me when we went and saw "Sing" at the movies, and have played a song or two for some people in my choir with me at school, but would never play it at school or church. I tried once to convince my close friends to like them at a pool party a few weeks ago when I played "Spending all my time" for them but only one of them even sort of liked it :| . I mean for the most part I don't really get embarrassed by listening to Perfume. The only thing that makes people think it is weird is because it is in Japanese, and I know this for a fact because when I played Perfume for some of my friends they thought it was weird, but when I sang Flash with lyrics relating to chemistry safety for my H Chemistry class, they all thought the song was really good :/. I wish people would just get over the stigma of listening to songs with languages other than your own in the U.S. In the vast majority of other countries around the world they do so why not the U.S.?
L1ght7
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby Sensha_Michi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 am

People not listening to music in their native language is also the same here in the UK, i think its a western thing to be honest. I mean, isnt music all about the sound, and if you understand it then all the better?

I admit i can pickup the general theme of the song with the little Japanese I do know, but most of the time i'm just bopping along in my car enjoying the rythm and tones.
I love Japan, Perfume & Girls und Panzer... Not always in that order either :P
Sensha_Michi
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Previous

Return to Perfume General