Perfume actually sings live in most of their performances?

Perfume general discussion.

Moderators: manuel, Abe, rewak, goodlucksaturday, AlexShenmue

Perfume actually sings live in most of their performances?

Postby franm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi! This is my first post on this forum. First of all, I guess I have to make the obligatory "English is not my first language" warning. Second, I tried to make sure there was no thread like this and I didn't find anything with the search function or in the first ten pages.

I know it sounds a little silly to be asking this, since it's pretty much a very well known thing that Perfume tends to lipsync, since they usually focus on their dancing (there´s of course the exceptions like Puppy love or 575). However, a couple times I've read that they actually DO sing live, but the backtrack is louder, and you only would be able to tell if you were at their concerts.

I didn't pay much attention to these claims since they were usually Youtube comments (and everybody knows their not the best source of information), but I realized that in some performances they actually do seem to be singing.

For example, in this video I'm pretty sure you can hear A-chan's real voice at 1:34, and in this other performance Kashiyuka's (i think?) wavering voice can be heard faintly. Perhaps I'm looking too much into it though.

These claims are probably untrue, but I still would like to read your opinions.
franm
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Re: Perfume actually sings live in most of their performance

Postby elevator » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:37 am

I am no expert on this, at all. But from what other fans have written, I have the impression that in concert Perfume do sing live even if there is also a voice track at the same time. I guess, why wouldn't they - they are there to perform and engage with the audience. Performing to an audience and engaging with the audience is what they what they have always said is their greatest strength - and it probably saved their careers back in 2006 when a record executive allowed them one more release (Chocolate Disco) after witnessing a particularly wild live.

But what is I guess is the essential point is whether the concert audience is permitted to hear their live voices by the way that the concert sound system is tweaked. I certainly have the impression that the concert audiences are commonly allowed to hear the girls' live voices, albeit in some sort of balance with the precorded voice track, when there is one, normally the case I guess. I've seen it suggested a number of times that when a Perfume concert is recorded to be released as a DVD/blu-ray, the balance between the girls' live voices and the voice track is readjusted for the release to give more prominence to the pre-recorded voice track.

I guess one just has to go to Perfume concerts and judge for oneself! I was lucky to go to the two London concerts and it never crossed my mind that Perfume were lipsyncing (I was fairly close to the front for one concert) and so I pretty much support the theory that their live voices and the voice track were both being used. To be quite honest it wasn't really on my mind! They are just so brilliant at engaging with an audience, even when there is a language barrier. :D
elevator
Choreographer MIKIKO
Choreographer MIKIKO

Postby franm » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 am

Thanks for answering my question!

You had the opportunity to see them? I'm so envious! And believe me, I'd love to go to a concert and see it for myself, perhaps one day I can make that dream come true. Though seeing them so close must be a great experience, I'll admit I'd rather go to a concert in Japan in a big arena rather than seeing them in London or America in a small venue. Both would be amazing, but I've always enjoyed big events like that.

I guess there's always the posibility that they do sing live. Perhaps they do it with songs that don't have very complicated dances, or at least are not very energetic. And since the examples I gave were Baby Cruising Love and Twinkle Snow Powdery Snow, that theory would make sense.

elevator wrote:I've seen it suggested a number of times that when a Perfume concert is recorded to be released as a DVD/blu-ray, the balance between the girls' live voices and the voice track is readjusted for the release to give more prominence to the pre-recorded voice track.

If this is true, maybe they give preference to the pre-recorded track because it sounds more... stable. If they sing while dancing, then probably their voices sound shaky at times, so they rather cover it by making the backtrack louder.

I've also heard that they actually don't sing live/the pre-recorded track is louder because, since their voices in the songs are highly autotuned (plus the use of Vocoder), their real voices wouldn't sound right at lives... but I think this is pretty much wrong because of performances like Toki no Hari.
franm
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby myAya » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am

yuka sounds better in pre-recorded audio.
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Postby franm » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Kashiyuka and Nocchi sound really good in the songs IMO (especially Nocchi), but A-chan has the best natural voice.
franm
Hiroshima member
Hiroshima member

Postby myAya » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am

i forget her voice (a chan), but i cant forget that smile!
everybody knows?

on the slow boat from Timbuktu with a smile from Perfume
myAya
Electro World native
Electro World native

Return to Perfume General